Do Not Be THAT Coach - Handball Guidelines
Do you yell "HANDBALL!" or "COME ON REF!" every time the ball hits an arm? Do you turn to your parents/sideline, throwing up your arms making comments about the ref's eyesight or competence, or saying things like "How did he NOT see that?"? or "He must be watching a different game to the one I am watching?"?
Click HERE to read an excellent article on the misunderstood rule that is 'Handball'.
12/3/13 2:15 PM
Ask, Tell, Dimiss
Ask-Tell-Dismiss is a standard tool used by referees to manage players, coaches, sideline parents and fans. Be calm and professional. Apply the least amount of pressure needed to control the game. If an action so warrants, you may immediately go to Tell or Dismiss.
Ask-Tell-Dismiss for players
(1) Ask and/or warn the player to stop unacceptable behavior.
(2) Tell the player to stop and issue a caution (yellow card).
(3) Send off the player (red card).
Ask-Tell-Dismiss for coaches
(1) Ask the coach to stop unsporting or irresponsible behavior (for example, dissent).
(2) Tell the coach to stop and that you are now formally giving a caution.
(3) Dismiss (aka, send off) the coach from the game if their bad behavior still persists. The game may continue if there is a registered assistant coach or other registered team official present. If not, terminate the game.
Ask-Tell-Dismiss for team spectators
In addition to being responsible for players, the coach is responsible for the behavior of team officials, parents and fans (supporters).
(1) Ask the coach to speak with an unruly or dissenting supporter to calm that person down. Wait until the coach successfully does this.
(2) If the bad behavior persists, tell the coach again that they must deal with the offender right away and that the game will not continue until the offender leaves the area. Tell the coach you are issuing them (the coach) a caution.
(3) If the coach cannot handle the situation and remove the supporter, then dismiss (aka, send off) the coach. Do not continue the game until both the coach and the offending supporter leave the area. The game may continue if there is a registered assistant coach or other registered team official present. If not, terminate the game.
Do not actually show a yellow or red card to a coach. But do say verbally that you are cautioning them or dismissing them.
1/16/14 2:56 PM
2014 DYSL Marlon 'Murf' Murphy Memorial College Scholarship
The DYSL Board of Directors added a new scholarship this year in memory of Marlon "Murf" Murphy who influenced DYSL with his positive approach to life and refereeing and found many ways to bring smiles to our fields. The Marlon Murphy Scholarship is only open to referees who have at least a 3.0 GPA and are attending college beginning the following Fall semester. Each applicant must submit the following:
Describe your future plans and what you gained by participating in the sport of soccer.
- High School Transcripts (photo copy)
- A one page essay. Tell us about yourself.
Deadline is May 10, 2014.
Click the link below for the application. Contact Rodney McClelland by email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
You can also mail all completed info to:
3211 Westbourne Drive, Antioch, CA 94509
1/25/14 7:54 AM
DELTA IMPULSE CAR WASH FUNDRAISER
The Delta Impulse U19g Comp team is having a Fundraiser Car Wash on Sunday May 4 from 10am to 2pm. Cost is $10. We will be at Les Schwab tires Lone Tree Way. So please come on out and help support our team.
4/21/14 8:47 AM